Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ring Ring Ring

Cell phones allow you to contact anyone on the go, wherever you are. You can IM on your cell phones, and write emails and text messages. Personally, I am also on the phone, and texting -- I'm always communicating with people. However, on the weekend, I was standing in line in the checkout line with my mom at the grocery store, and the person who was in line two people ahead of us was on the phone. She was gabbing away practically telling her life story. I heard her whole conversation, not because I was evesdropping, but because she was practically shouting! I bet everyone in the store could hear her shrieking and laughing. Everyone has a cell phone nowadays, and have become really common. It is often unpractical to turn your phone off, or to avoid answering a call, so I have come up with five rules that are neccesary to follow when using your cell phone.

  1. Keep your voice down! - Not everyone wants to hear what your plans are for the night, or what he said to her, and what you said to him, etc. There is no need to shout on the phone. Sure, the signal and sound has to go a long way, but they can still hear you!
  2. Excuse yourself to answer a call or text message - If you are in the middle of a conversation with someone, don't interrupt them to pick up your phone. And definately don't text while they are talking. Simply say "Excuse me, I need to get this" and all will be ok.
  3. Do not use your phone during an innapropriate time! - You do not need to be on your phone at the movie theatre, or during a seminar at school, or at a wedding reception, etc. Sometimes, your personal texting life needs to take a backseat. There are more important things!
  4. Always text back - While I am against crazy texting, when someone texts you, it is clearly because they need something, and are expecting a response. Take the 30 seconds it takes to respond.
  5. Don't go phone crazy! - You don't need to be on your phone 27/7, and you don't need to text 1000 times a day. Relax, take a breather, and get some fresh air, maybe.

No comments: